A survey by Bizrate Insights, a division of marketing solutions firm Connexity (formerly Shopzilla, Inc,) has found that Millennials are the most interested in same-day delivery with nearly a third (30%) of them saying it is important (contrasted by only 5% of Seniors).
“The percentage of online buyers who found same-day delivery ‘important’ went down 5 percentage points from 24% in 2013; however this drop may be due, in part, to a changing delivery landscape,” says Hayley Silver, VP of Bizrate Insights. “A significantly larger percent of shoppers have since joined shipping clubs, which means consumers may be more used to two-day delivery. Furthermore, one-hour delivery has also become available in some markets, so shoppers who require an item immediately may spring for one-hour shipping instead of same-day.”
The top two retail categories where same-day delivery is most important: Automotive (34%) and Gifts & Flowers (31%).
Other findings of interest from the Bizrate Insights survey:
- The desire for one-hour delivery remains small (with only 9% of buyers saying it is “important”). Though retailers might want to note that 3% of online buyers had considered abandoning their purchase because one-hour delivery wasn’t available.
- On average, buyers expect to pay about $15.78 for same-day delivery. They expect to pay as much as $24.18 on average for same-day delivery of Automotive items, but as little as $10.55 for Pet Supplies.
- Some 4% of all buyers considered not purchasing at all because same-day delivery wasn’t offered.
- Delivery cost is more important to 74% of buyers, versus delivery timing (important to 26%).
- 38% of buyers say that ship-to-store or local-pick up is “important,” a modest 14% increase since 2013. Now, over half (51%) of Millennials find local pick-up options important.
This study includes data from 6,767 online buyers in the US and Canada from October 27-30, 2015. The data was collected via online survey presented immediately after completing a purchase from over 5,000 ecommerce retailers in the Bizrate Insights Network.