WERC Study: Getting a read on RFID

According to a recent study by the Warehousing and Education Research Council (WERC), nearly half of responding companies (44%) are not considering RFID technology at present.

Proponents of RFID claim the technology has the potential to greatly improve supply chain efficiency and effectiveness, by helping companies better deal with inventory management and information sharing. Ideally, if and when RFID becomes fully implemented in distribution centers, it may eliminate the need for bar code scanning and manual counting at receiving docks. This could greatly reduce both the labor hours needed and the amount of human error inherent in the current bar code scanning methods.

The study’s authors, Barb Osyk and B. Vijayaraman, says companies are not implementing RFID because they can’t see a foreseeable benefit. Other reasons were cost and lack of funding. Technical limitations and lack of customer demand were other reasons for not implementing RFID technology.

The companies surveyed employ many technologies in their supply chain and warehousing applications. The most popular technologies utilized are barcoding, printed labels, scanners, WMS, conveyors, and material handling equipment vehicles. Sixty percent of the companies surveyed are using RF technology.

While the majority of companies (64%) planning to implement RFID are in the initial stages of conducting research and gathering information regarding RFID. The other 36% of the companies are at different stages of implementation such as cost justification and budgeting (7%), project plan development (10%), approved project plan/budget (5%), vendor selection (4%), purchasing (5%), and others (5%).

Partner Content

Hincapie Sportswear Finds Omnichannel Success in the Cloud - Netsuite
For more and more companies, a cloud-based unified data solution is the way to make this happen. Custom cycling apparel maker Hincapie Sportswear has leveraged this capability to gain greater visibility into revenue streams, turning opportunities into sales more quickly while gaining overall operating efficiency. Download this ecommerce special report from Multichannel Merchant to more.
The Gift of Wow: Preparing your store for the holiday season - Netsuite
Being prepared for the holiday rush used to mean stocking shelves and making sure your associates were ready for the long hours. But the digital revolution has changed everything, most importantly, customer expectations. Retailers with a physical store presence should be asking themselves—what am I doing to wow the customer?
3 Critical Components to Achieving the Perfect Order - NetSuite
Explore the 3 critical components to delivering the perfect order.
Streamlining Unified Commerce Complexity - NetSuite
Explore how consolidating multiple systems through a cloud-based commerce platform provides a seamless experience for both you, and your customer.