Fab.com Rolls Out Free Shipping, Free Returns and More

Content Manager

As part of its “Fab Smile Guarantee” initiative,  Fab.com announced the implementation of free shipping, free returns and price matching guarantees last week, according to a blog post by founder and CEO Jason Goldberg.

Free Shipping

Fab said free shipping is available for products over $49. Anything below $49 has a $5.95 fee in the continental U.S.   For Alaska and Hawaii, products $49 and up are free, below $49 the fee is $12.95.  In Canada, products up to $75 the fee is $12.95. Products $75 and up are free.

According to Fab, about 95% of products qualify for free shipping, however handling fees may apply for the other 5% of products that are considered bulky, fragile, or difficult to ship.

Fab also offers free shipping on any merchandise that requires more than five days to ship.  Free shipping is determined on the merchandise subtotal before sales tax, excluding gift cards, handling fees and home delivery.  Free shipping only applies to standard delivery, according to the website.

Orders going to Canada include an international shipping surcharge based on the products ordered and its final destination, according to the website.

Free Returns

For free returns, shoppers may return any product within 30 days of delivery for free.  Shoppers simply have to initiate a return on items from the “My Orders” page and Fab will cover the return costs.  Special return instructions are provided for furniture and other items shipped through a delivery service.

Fab aims to process all returns within a few days of receipt, refunds are issued after returns have been received, inspected and processed.  Refunds are issued back to the original form of payment, according to the website.

Price Matching

Fab is promising price matching guarantees  if consumers find a better price online within 14 days of purchase. Shoppers will just need to contact Fab’s contact center with an order number and link showing where they found a better price.  Fab will refund the cash difference, no questions asked, according to the website.

To be eligible for price matching the better price must be merchandise from an authorized retailer in your country of residence.

According to the Fab, merchandise within the Fab Outlet are not included as part of the price match guarantee.

Daniela Forte is a Content Producer with Multichannel Merchant.  Daniela can be reached at 203-899-8449 or connect with her socially on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+

Partner Content

Hincapie Sportswear Finds Omnichannel Success in the Cloud - Netsuite
For more and more companies, a cloud-based unified data solution is the way to make this happen. Custom cycling apparel maker Hincapie Sportswear has leveraged this capability to gain greater visibility into revenue streams, turning opportunities into sales more quickly while gaining overall operating efficiency. Download this ecommerce special report from Multichannel Merchant to more.
The Gift of Wow: Preparing your store for the holiday season - Netsuite
Being prepared for the holiday rush used to mean stocking shelves and making sure your associates were ready for the long hours. But the digital revolution has changed everything, most importantly, customer expectations. Retailers with a physical store presence should be asking themselves—what am I doing to wow the customer?
3 Critical Components to Achieving the Perfect Order - NetSuite
Explore the 3 critical components to delivering the perfect order.
Streamlining Unified Commerce Complexity - NetSuite
Explore how consolidating multiple systems through a cloud-based commerce platform provides a seamless experience for both you, and your customer.